Sunday, July 1, 2007

From HOT Arizona

I am Ayse, undergraduate IWJ intern in Arizona. My area of focus is immigration and the public policy. I am working with Trina Zelle and Sarah Schwarz on the New Sanctuary Movement.
My second day in Arizona, I was introduced to the Imam in Tempe, AZ and people involved in the immigration policies from the Muslim community. Later in the week, me and Sarah attended the New Sanctuary Movement follow up meeting in a church with mainly religious leaders and people of conscience in a Lutheran Church. Trina Zelle led the discussion on finding potential families, identifying the religious leaders, what to do next and how to approach senators in the state. After the bill was killed, we have attended a press conference in the State Capital.

Apart from the New Sanctuary Movement, we work along with UFCW and somos America on their Bashas campaign. Their research indicated that 58% of the baby formula in Bashas was expired and we participated in the action against Bashas as well as meetings before the action.

Currently, Sarah and I are beginning our initial outreach to faith communities. We have identified the religious leaders in order to develop materials on their religious response to immigration and their perspectives.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog. I noticed the story on the Bashas' expired infant formula too. Here's something really funny: Eddie Basha (the company owner) fairly recently won an honorary degree from the University of Arizona in part for (of all things) childhood nutrition!

http://uanews.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/UANews.woa/9/wa/MainStoryDetails?ArticleID=12664

Amazing!

Ayse said...

Hello John, I had no idea, I will further look into that. The Bashas are apperantly suing the union:) Things are getting pretty exciting. Lets see what happens.

ayse

Anonymous said...

Do you know how the press conference went today?