Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Back in the proverbial "saddle"

Texas in July is best described as "miserably hot." I know this because my denomination's General Assembly took place last week, so I got a week long break from the internship to enjoy Texas in July. Needless to say, I find amazing truth in the Genesis passage that reads, "When in Texas during July, God created air-conditioning and called it Good." The downside of such a break (besides the heat...) was a disruption in my work with the union. Much of the momentum I had built up over the last several weeks dissipated because of the break and the last few days has been a concerted effort of getting caught up on the status of various campaigns and remembering where I was in my own work before my Texas vacation.

This experience powerfully demonstrates the importance of momentum to any movement in general and to community organizing in particular. Success and rewarding experiences on the job accumulate into powerful positive forces that drive your work and push you forward. One is often unaware of the role momentum plays in one's drive, but becomes acutely aware once the momentum is lost. The task now is to catch it again and continue to move forward. Thankfully, Saturday brings another presidential candidate to town and the opportunity to once again get behind the bullhorn!

No comments: