Friday, June 27, 2008

Talking in front of the MTA Board!!

So the most interesting thing happened yesterday. I am working on the food-service campaign and we went to talk in front of the LA Metro board to try and get them to be neutral in Aramark negotiations. We planned on having a local faith leader speak on behalf of the community, but because of difficulties with timing, she was unable to stay. I chose to wear my collar yesterday because I am wearing in instances where I think it would be beneficial and yesterday was my first time that I wore it during this internship. Through a series of instances it was determined that I would speak!! Needless to say I was a nervous wreck before hand. All I had to do was read from our talking points, but still was freaking me out. I tried to reach my bestest friend to pray before hand, but he was unavailable. When they called my name to speak, I almost peed my pants. I got up to the podium, my knees were shaking! I read my piece and surprisingly I got through it. I was able to read effectively and hopefully i got my point across. When I was done, it was such a sense of relief.

We were told during training that we shouldn't be the one's to be the face of the movement, but are to be the people behind the scenes, but here I was at one of my first actions, speaking before a board. I was happy to do it, but could definatley say that it was out of my comfort zone, but not in an area that was completely inacessible. I think I grew a little. I have always been hesitiant to think that I have what it takes to be effective, but when pushed I can do things that I didn't think I could do. That is the power of the spirit in my life. We;ll what the rest of the summer brings.

No comments: