Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Seeing the good in people

“Yes, I can try to help” was what he said with a beautiful smile. The most important job that we do here at the Restaurant Opportunity Center in Michigan is talking to restaurant workers and fill out a survey which can help us understand the condition for restaurant workers in the Metro Detroit area. This task can be either daunting or plain fun. Luckily for me, it happened to be the later. We approach restaurant workers either when they are about to leave work or simply when they are walking down a street. Approaching random people and introducing yourself is quite a challenge. At first I had thought it was an insane idea, but about 90 surveys later, I go out everyday with a motivation to get more. I have learnt that our goal is way too important for me to be held back because of the challenge the means brings forth. I’ve also realized that to get to 500 surveys, even 1 is a great success.
But what makes it all amazing; (something I’m constantly thankful for) is how wonderful people have been. In the past couple of weeks I have started to believe that people are, well…good. It’s that simple. If you choose to believe this fact, you’ll understand that we all mostly become the way we’re treated. Luckily for me, every person I’ve approached with a smile has responded with the same attitude. Even though it’s not everyone, most people want to help, be a part of something much bigger than they are, they just need a slight push, and of course, that smile goes a long way.
Life has thought me not to be too naïve, there are definitely people out there, who may not be as “nice,” as I’d like them to. But I’ve learnt that I can never let them get to me – there is always a bigger picture that I need to keep in mind. Different circumstances might have made them the way they are… I guess all I can do… is smile yet again… and hope that they realize that there is an alternative their current attitude. There really is "a good" in all people... i guess for me, the most important step has been to realize this fact... that has been one of the blessings of being a part of the work for social justice.

No comments: